Friday, June 18, 2010

The Save Our Sound Flotilla





Today, at 10.30 am, or perhaps a bit closer to 11, fourteen mariners and passengers converged on waters between Bald Head and Breaksea Island to protest against the Albany Port Authority and Grange Resources dumping their dredging spoils there.

Fourteen boats doesn't sound like many but it was a grand effort getting out there. The maritime origins of Albany were well represented - fishing boats, dive boats, tour boats and a few weekenders came out. There was even a tinny or two, rolling around in the massive swells of the Sound entrance.

These photos are taken from my mobile phone. If anyone has any better, please email them to me at www dot saveoursound6330 dot gmail dot com ...

5 comments:

  1. Excellent Sarah......if I hadn't driven to Albany and back 3 times this week I would have been there on my SUP (stand-up-paddle board) But I was also a bit worried the swell would be massive coming from the SSW and I didn't think I could paddle back from Antarctica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it was, the swell rounded Bald Head and rolled right in from there. A stand-up paddle board might have been , well, you probably wouldn't have been standing up for long!

    But plenty of boats out there to pick you up! We gave the GWN crew a ride home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I reckon it would have been crazy out there with that swell. I didn't get a surf either cos it's overshooting all the banks. You can paddle those boards sitting down, and I may have been able to surf some of the swells, but would have felt a bit too vulnerable....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went out on a yacht with the intention of joining the circle. Sadly, we did not make it on time (and only made it back to the pens after dark and under lights!). Does that make it 15 Mariners? And yes, the swell out the back o' Breaksea was described as 'exhilarating' by my skipper ... hmmm ... I guess I'll stick with below water in future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A grand effort anyway! Fifteen it is. It was a bit rocky out there hey?

    ReplyDelete